- 1½-pounds sweet potatoes, about 2 medium sized scrubbed
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom, ½ teaspoon if freshly ground
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 3 large eggs, separated
- ½ cup sugar
- ¾ cup plain 2% milk yogurt
- Basic Whole Wheat Tart Crust or frozen whole wheat pie shell, par baked (optional)
2. Let the sweet potatoes cool slightly, then peel. Puree with orange zest, cardamom, cinnamon, vanilla and salt. Set aside in large bowl.
3. In a small bowl, lightly whisk the egg yolks until fluffy, then add in the sugar and beat until light yellow and creamy, about 1 minute. Stir into the potato mixture along with the yogurt until evenly combined.
4. In a separate bowl, using an electric hand mixer, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks are formed. Using a wooden spoon or spatula, fold 1 tablespoon of the egg whites into the sweet potato mixture to break it up, then gently fold in the rest in 3 batches. Don't overmix - a few white streaks should remain. Pour into buttered baking pan or into a pie crust.
5. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the center is firm and has set.
6. Let cool completely, then serve at room temperature or cold from the fridge.