Patient / Doctor Communication: Side-by-Side
SHARE's award-winning educational program, called "Side-by-Side," works to empower patients and their doctors to communicate more effectively and compassionately with one another.
About the Program
Side-by-Side is a unique educational program based on the concept that cancer patient care can be enhanced by improving communication and coordination between patients and their healthcare providers. The program was developed in 1998 in collaboration with the New York University Medical Center.
This program provides workshops to improve communication between patients and their doctors, promote compassion and empathy, enhance cultural competency among doctors, influence caregiver training and empower patients.
Testimonials from first year medical students at NY Medical College at Valhalla:
- "You helped shape our ability to speak to future patients, human beings. You made a big impact on our lives."
- "Thank you for providing so much insight about your experience. Your efforts to educate others truly bring a positive change to medicine."
- "Thank you for helping us to become better physicians."
- "I will remember your words of advice when I begin to see patients on my own."
- "Your story was so beautiful and invaluable to me and my future patients."
- "Today I learned a lot about what it takes to be empathetic and personable. It means a lot."
- "Your experience has inspired me to live each day and each patient encounter to the fullest."
If you'd like to learn more about this program, please contact Ivis Sampayo, Senior Director of Programs, at (212) 937-5576.