Outreach Ambassador Open House
Tuesday, October 29th, 2019, 6pm
165 W 46th Street
Please join us for an open house to learn about SHARE’s Ambassador Program and the opportunity to become an Ambassador.
SHARE Ambassadors are breast and ovarian cancer survivors or caregivers trained to educate underserved Latino, African-American and Caribbean communities about these diseases. All are women of color, and they offer educational presentations at community-based organizations in Manhattan, Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island.
By hosting presentations, giving out educational brochures and flyers, attending healthcare events and more, SHARE’s outreach efforts touch 40,480 lives annually with vital information about risks, risk factors, screening, symptoms, and treatments for breast and ovarian cancer.
ALL INTERESTED INDIVIDUALS MUST RSVP FOR ADDITIONAL DETAILS AND DIRECTIONS BEFORE ATTENDING. Also, please inform us of any volunteer experience(s) you have. Once we receive your completed form you will be sent confirmation and directions to join us for the Open House.
Please follow the link to RSVP: http://bit.ly/AAPOH19
**If you do not receive a confirmation, you have not been selected for this round of openings, and you may be called at a later date.**
Description of African-American Outreach Ambassador Position
SHARE’s Ambassador Program is a grassroots community organizing effort designed to reach out to communities of African heritage in medically underserved communities throughout NYC and reduce outcome disparities in patients with breast or ovarian cancer through education and support initiatives.
LOCATION OF JOB: Remote, off-site locations (schools, churches, etc.) in communities of African heritage throughout NYC’s metropolitan area.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Recommending Outreach partners (i.e. religious, educational or social) or associations (i.e. sorority, fraternity, alumni, business) to distribute informational packets within your community
- Attend community events such as health fairs and wellness events to distribute information.
- If comfortable with public speaking, will learn to give educational presentations in medically underserved communities throughout NYC.
- Be a self-starter, willing to take initiative, detail-oriented and can work effectively within a team
- Be courteous and personable when dealing with the public
- Must be dependable and punctual
- Demonstrate enthusiasm and familiarity with SHARE and its other programs or willingness to learn
- Respect and maintain confidentiality of SHARE volunteers and staff
- Strong interest in becoming a community educator or in school for related coursework; willing and comfortable with sharing your personal cancer story if you are a survivor.
TRAINING & SUPPORT:
- Attends SHARE African American Ambassador Orientation & additional trainings as needed
- Ongoing informal feedback on performance, mentoring and formal evaluation from Outreach Coordinator
- Bringing health and wellness information to an underserved community
- Metrocard provided for travel costs.
COMPENSATION: $16 an hour
CONTACT: Dominique Bethea at firstname.lastname@example.org
You must be logged in to post a comment.